- In 1998, the grave of Amina bint Wahb, the prophet Mohammed's mother, was bulldozed and doused in gasoline.
- The birthplace of Prophet Mohammed came under threat 50 years ago, now a library, will soon levelled and turned into a car park.
- The house of Sayyidatina Khadijah (Prophet Muhammad's first wife), was demolished and replaced with public lavatories.
- The house of Sayyidina Abu Bakr (companion of Prophet Mohammad & first caliph of Islam) was demolished to make way for the Hilton hotel.
- The 1,200-year-old Masjid Abu Qubais, site of the grave of the Prophet's grandson Ali-Oraid, was demolished and a palace was built over it.
- The mosque and tomb of Sayyid Imam al-Uraidhi ibn Ja‘far al-Sadiq was destroyed by dynamite and flattened on 13 August 2002.
There's lots more insane acts that just make me cry. I just don't know when will these Wahhabis ever stop. In a very recent article entitled "Shame of the House of Saud: Shadows Over Mecca" published by Independent UK newspaper, it mentioned,
The Wahhabis live in fanatical fear that places of historical or religious interest could give rise to alternative forms of pilgrimage or worship. Their obsession with combating idolatry has seen them flatten all evidence of a past that does not agree with their interpretation of Islam.
Lay people, and in some cases even US senators could be forgiven for thinking that the House of Saud has been the guardian of the two holy places for time immemorial. In fact, it is only 80 years since the tribal chieftain Ibn Saud occupied Mecca and Medina.
There's been a series of articles on this subject that I would like to share with everyone, and I hope you can spend some time reading the following short articles:
- The Destruction of the Holy Sites of Mecca and Medina (Islamica Magazine)
- The House of Sayyida Khadija (Islamic Magazine)
- Shame of the House of Saud: Shadows Over Mecca
- Wahhabis Destroy the Heritage of Mecca